The first week of school is under our belts. Hooray! The first day of K is always tough (at least for me!) because everything is new and unknown to my kiddos. Each day this week has gotten better, and I am excited to see where the year takes us. I am especially pleased with the class's hallway behavior. The kids are doing an amazing job walking quietly in the halls. They have already earned 2 tokens for our jar. In my humble opinion they are setting a great example for other classes to follow.
This week we have been getting to know our classmates and learning procedures. We have spent a good amount of time learning school/classroom/playground rules. I suspect the favorite part of the day has been the extra morning recess or our play time. I am so impressed with how this group of kids has been cleaning up after play time. They have done a fabulous job putting away the toys and materials they have played with; I am very proud of them!
Next week we will begin some curriculum. Our first math unit focuses on numbers 1-5. The students will learn the daily routine that is used at the beginning of every lesson. They will be creating scenes of numbers and will use some of our math tools. We will do lots of activities with our names so that our classmates can learn to recognize our names, too. We will learn some songs and do some hands-on activities that will prepare us for handwriting lessons. The students will prepare for Writer's Workshop by doing some oral story telling. They will learn that we all have stories to tell and eventually they will learn to write those stories.
One area I have found that we really need to work on is listening. A reminder from home about listening when others are talking would be helpful to all of us. It seems that I have a class that has a lot to say! Something tells me that the oral story telling will be a breeze!
Important Dates:
Monday, Sept. 9- book orders due
September 18- picture day
September 27- Walk-a-thon
I have attached some photos from our Fun Friday craft. Enjoy!
Please let me know if you ever have questions or concerns. Have a wonderful weekend!
Mrs. Lyon
No comments:
Post a Comment